For this project I wanted to take one of the vehicles that show up in my comic “The Adventures of the 19XX” and turn it into a physical model or prototype for something that can be mass produced. I started with a 3d model built in Google Sketchup. I’ve used Cinema 4D but Google Sketchup is so ridiculously easy that I’ve starting using that program. The only thing that takes a little planning in Sketchup is curved surfaces. So it is almost useless for making people or organic shapes.
The first step after my model was done was to find a place that did 3D printing. I got a couple quotes and decided on http://wwwmoddler.com. I sent the files over to them and was told I needed to make some changes. One thing I changed was the shape of the legs. Since they were going to have to support the body I added some more strength to the joints and included pegs for them to attach to the body. The folks over at Moddler were very helpful and I don’t think I would have gotten the same service somewhere else.
So after a couple weeks of sending files back and forth the final pieces came in the mail. I did a little sanding to get the parts to fit together. Then I painted a primer coat in grey, and then a coat in olive. The last picture shows the fully painted model complete with the “nose art” that the character Vera Brecht uses in the book on her walking tank. I’m very happy with how the whole thing came out and I’m already sketching ideas for my next vehicle I”m going to prototype that will show up in the next book.
I am just about to send this project to the printer and I had some time so I thought I’d upload some pages. We heard about this project over a year ago but after it changed scope and people dropped out it fell to me to complete it solo! I was notified at the beginning of May that this book had to be at the printer by June 17. And I had to write the story, draw all the pages, color them and layout the book. Also in that time I had two conventions I had to do. So It worked out like this…
3 days writing the story
1 day on the cover
17 days drawing 22 pages
8 days coloring 22 pages
Yes that’s right, I drew 22 pages in 17 days and then colored them in 8 days. I did have some help with the flats for the colors from my friend Will Fincher, but still. That is a lot of drawing while working a full time job during the day. So anyway, here are a few of the pages in various stages of completion and the cover. I think the whole comic will be available sometime in September. Not sure.
Ok, tons of stuff here! This is an annual event hosted by the Circle of Care Foundation every year. This year we had a pretty interesting die cut invitation shaped like a palette. The greys on most of these documents were printed with a slightly metallic silver ink, so it was a 4 color process +1. The documents included, changes to the website, an eblast, event signage, a 100 page book for the event, the invitation, a note card, an RSVP card, and probably some other items I forgot now.
This job took forever!! Mostly because the client wanted the website to look exactly like the catalog and have lightbox on every image and have selectable text. So that kind of ruled out just uploading a pdf. Anyway here is a screenshot, you can see the full version at daganind.com at least until the next catalog comes out.
The client had quite a bit of input on this catalog, mostly on the cover. They new they wanted the logo on fire and some wood in the background so I came up with this cover. Here is also an inside page spread. To make the DI on fire I applied a ton of filters in photoshop to get a burned blurry edge, and I found some pictures of flames at night that cut out very well. Effects like flames are usually pretty cheesy but that’s what the client wanted and they came out ok in my opinion.
I was tasked with creating new box art for one of the Dagan product lines called American hearth. Below are the various comps they were shown and a final. All that’s left now is to find someone to translate text into Spanish and French! The manufacturing facility in China will be responsible for inserting the images for the rest of the product line.
This job is for a redesign of a winery website. The winery is based out of Ventura County California and run by two great people, Fay and George. The rules were, orange and black, and that’s it! so I showed them the following comps and they chose one they liked. The will end up being a fairly large site, with a large selection of wine types, this site also needed a cms so that the client could change elements themselves at a later date.
Here are a collection of cover and back page comps that I did for a client that needed a small fire pit catalog done. The comps are rough! Don’t judge me! But the final is shown here as well, the client combined a few elements they liked and the final catalog ended up being 8 pages staple bound with a three hole punch.
Here are the pages. For each comp I did a cover and back page, the final cover and back page are the first two pages.
Here is a trifold I did for the Circle of Care Foundation. I also maintain their website located at thecircleofcarefoundation.org. This was for an annual boutique event to raise money for the foundation. I drew the shopping girl and all that in illustrator after I scanned in a sketch, then I did the rest of the layout in InDesign. We also did envelopes and posters based on the same design. The client loved it!
This color proof came back today, I liked the way the proof looked with all the colors along the bottom so I thought I’d post it. Only a couple problems from the printer, one image of a product was too small, the banner used rich black instead of just plain black, but overall few changes.